Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Economic Justice

So at the end of class last week, after having discussed economic justice and watched videos and talked about current events, we were asked to write down what economic justice meant to us, but I didn't really know still so I just went with the definition that was given. I now feel that economic justice can be defined as equitable payment of any type for equal input.

We started last class watching a clip of "From First to Worst" which was interesting and got me wanting to see the entire documentary which I plan to (I have it on my list) and it was pretty astonishing how greedy the more affluent districts were, that they would just got back to match the less fortunate schools instead of distributing the surplus equally. This led to bringing up how some California Universities, but CSUs and UCs, now cost more than schools such as Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Williams College. It's shocking to see PRIVATE schools costing less than California PUBLIC schools. This was the major thing that stuck with me from that class, even more so than our discussions of Adam Smith and his irrespective tone when speaking of the "savages" and how we don't have true capitalism, more of a crony-capitalism.

Oh ya, as of...2011 I believe it was, California spends $50,000 per inmate and $8,667 per student annually.

No comments:

Post a Comment