Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Tapped"

Class this past week was pretty interesting. I totally forgot Jillian was going to be there and was surprised at first but you and her are a lot a like, she's rad. She had lots of information and is a serious community participant, and even wrote random notes on the board like you do.

I had never seen "Tapped" before or even heard of it. When it was brought up I thought it was the documentary on the US privatization of Bolivian water, including their rainwater, that my high school senior gov/econ teacher showed us but quickly learned it wasn't. I had no idea that companies like Hershey's could go in and basically take a community's water source for free and sell it at 1900x the cost of tap water. Its a joke, a big advertising media scam where they got us to start thinking we needed bottled water because its so much better than tap water, but oh wait, the processing of the bottles, and the big water jugs, leaves chemicals in the plastic that could cause obesity, breast cancer, prostate cancer, ADHD, ovarian cancer, neural disorders, and low sperm count; I knew BPA was bad for you but I didn't know it caused all that or that there was a chemical in the benzene family too.

After seeing Tapped I caught myself looking at water bottles and thinking about it every time I saw water bottles and of course the EPA would be on the industry's side, threatening that one guy that he could get fired for telling the people there could be cancerous chemicals in the environment due to the bottle processing plants or that the people had a right to complain about the companies. I'm glad he ended up quitting and working to fight against them,

No comments:

Post a Comment